Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bring it on Leo


I'm sure you all have been watching the incredible events unfolding in Myanmar; I'd been doing so from the CNN International TV channel in Prague, where I was traveling with my parents. How fascinating that the movement was inspired and ignited by that country's most revered group, its religious monks. This got me thinking... what group could have that kind of effect on the general population in the US (and now for me, the UK!)? Well that answer seems obvious: movie and TV stars. This also got me thinking... heretofore, I'd always cringe when seeing or hearing celebrities promote one cause or another, believing they had no credibility to speak on any of those subjects. However, after considering the powerful influence certain people can have on others (specifically the monks in Myanmar), my opinion on celebrity campaigning has shifted 180 degrees (hmm, is it the same in Celsius; was it ever in Fahrenheit?).

No comments: