Wednesday, September 12, 2007

UK v. USA

Well I've been here for nearly two months and I think I've come up with an analogy about the relationship between the US and the UK. Anthropomorphically speaking, the UK are like the proud parents of the US, their independent, feisty offspring. Like all parents, the UK want only the best for their children and hope they will turn out well, with lives that are as good or better than even their own. And the US have grown up to do very well indeed. However, in the end, the parents believe, and the kids will grudgingly agree on occasion, that father (and mum) knows best.

4 comments:

seniorurbanista said...

Well, anthropomorphically speaking, that is some BIG word. (did I spell it correctly?)
Interesting comment on the UK/USA relations. Got me thinkng about how the average person in the UK feels about Americans (and vise/versa)

weenie said...

It is perhaps unfortunate that many people these days, when they talk about Americans, they just think of Bush...

I don't have anything against Americans - great things have come from America - ideas, tv shows, innovation, help during WWII etc, etc.

I've never been to the States so unfortunately, my view is always going to be somewhat skewed.

BTW hi, came across your blog via Britblog! :-)

Robinivy said...

How exciting to be picked up from the outside world! Trying to branch out a bit... In fact what I was thinking when I wrote the father knows best bit was about the contrast intellectually between Bush and Blair. Thanks for writing weenie.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.