Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Herban Gardening

I had a lovely birthday on Monday and spent some time at Urbis, an exhibition centre and multi-purpose space in Manchester. Although I wasn't particularly bothered to see it, I went to their Urban Gardening exhibition and found myself surprisingly turned on over the concept of integrating urban life and nature; incorporating nature into urban life. Interestingly, there were two subjects in the exhibition that also happened to be featured in two of my 'friend-ly blogs' (see right hand column). There was a feature on peregrine falcons in Manchester in both the Urban Gardening show and Mancubist blog; in my brother's blog, Cincy to Seattle, he writes about getting more connected to nature and acknowledging what it provides for us (fuel, food), which is also explored in the exhibition. Check it all out for yourself if you're interested (I'm just planting the seed).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the cite of our blog. During our trip we listen to the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. I think this book should be read by everyone interested in where food comes from, and the real costs involved in the way we eat. Just one example from the book - think about the consequences of buying an organic asparagus from Argentina. Can a food item really be organic when it is shipped hundreds or thousands of miles? I'd love to see the exhibit - urban gardening (and eating local food) may be one of the most significant things we can do to improve the world.