Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Payback Playback Theatre

This past weekend Andrew and I saw something a bit different, something I'd never heard of before. We went to see a performance by the Playback Theatre Manchester, a kind of improvisational theatre group where audience members tell true-life stories which are then acted out on stage. Interestingly enough, Playback Theatre was developed about 30 years ago in Dutchess County, New York and now has companies worldwide. Turns out, I needed to come all the way to England to discover and experience this fascinating performance medium! Using talented actors, musical accompaniment, minimal props, and of course the audience's stories, Playback provides suspense, drama, comedy and can evoke even more from the audience. Is there a Playback Theatre near you?

Oh yeah, I was the first person called upon to tell my story (we sat in the first row)... I described why I decided to dress up for the day (see post below).

No comments: