Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Love Language


I enjoy thinking about language and how it's used. It's even more interesting now that I am here, because I can compare and contrast the English and American variations. I've been toying with a few theories, and one of them I present here: in expressing activities, the English tend to use nouns, or object words while the Americans use verbs, or action words. A few examples:
  1. Activity: English expression: American expression
  2. sleeping late: have a lie in: sleep in
  3. try something: have a go: go for it
  4. consider something: have a think: think about
  5. forgo something: give it a miss: skip it
Andrew and I are heading down to London for a few days. The image above was used in the flyer for my going away party given by my dear friends from work at nyc.gov. While I live a few hundred miles from there, we're going now to visit Mr. Big!

1 comment:

lisa lipani said...

great observation...or as they say over there...brilliant!
is your speech pattern changing yet?